Sunday, May 23, 2010

AZ-06 Green Party Candidate for Congress Richard Grayson Admits He "May Have Misspoken" Regarding Vietnam, Was Not Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff


Richard Grayson, Green Party candidate for Congress in Arizona's Sixth Congressional District, today admitted that he, like Connecticut Democratic Senatorial candidate Richard Blumenthal, may have misspoken regarding his Vietnam veteran status.

"I was not, technically, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the war," Grayson said. "I regret that anyone got that impression by my inartfully-worded statements when speaking to veterans' groups. I didn't mean to mislead voters by saying, 'During the Vietnam War, I was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.'"

"It was just a joke," Grayson said.

Grayson also said that he believed that his actual service to the nation at the time, as a draft-dodging, war-protesting hippie, was the functional equivalent of being the U.S.'s highest-ranking military officer.